Six of family drown in Ganga
Six persons of a family, including four minors, drowned in the Ganga at Maranchi village in Patna district, a top official said
Patna: Six persons of a family, including four minors, drowned in the Ganga on Thursday at Maranchi village in Patna district, a top district official said.
Six members of the family had gone to bathe in the river when one or two slipped into deep water. The others drowned in their efforts to save them, Patna district magistrate (DM) Sanjay Kumar Agarwal said. All the six bodies have been fished out of the river, the DM said.
Bihar chief minister Nitish Kumar expressed his grief over the incident and also talked to grieving family members of the deceased persons over the phone. He talked to the Patna district magistrate and gave him necessary directives and told him to make immediate payment of ex-gratia to the next of kin of the victims.
The DM said that Rs4 lakh would be paid to the next of kin of each of the deceased persons on Thursday itself.
- Motorcycles matter as trade tensions rise
- India’s future lies in creating carbon-neutral cities, says Danfoss India’s Purushothaman
- Rural neglect cause for urban woes: Nitin Gadkari
- ‘Smart cities are not only about sensors and gadgets but also mobility, development, jobs’
- Panama Papers leak: Government vows time-bound probe
Editor's Picks »
- Why Indian paint makers are shifting to water-based paints
- 2019 elections still some time away but defence stocks get the jitters
- Complan and Horlicks sale signals low energy in health drinks market
- With fall of the last dove, MPC minutes portend more than one RBI rate hike
- RITES IPO ticks the valuations box, but not the growth one