Jackfruit declared as Kerala’s official fruit
The aim is to promote ‘Kerala jackfruit’ as a brand in markets across the country and abroad, showcasing its organic and nutritious qualities
Thiruvananthapuram: The Kerala government on Wednesday declared jackfruit as its official fruit.
The official announcement in this regard was made by agriculture minister V.S. Sunil Kumar in the state assembly. The aim is to promote ‘Kerala jackfruit’ as a brand in markets across the country and abroad, showcasing its organic and nutritious qualities, he said.
This would also help in giving in the fruit’s production and sale, besides increasing its value-added products. Every year around 32 crore jackfruit is produced in the state, of which 30% gets wasted. A total revenue of Rs15,000 crore is expected through sale of jackfruit and its allied products through branding of the fruit, he said.
The ‘Kerala jackfruit’ is more organic and tasty as it is produced in a very natural way without using any chemical fertilisers or pesticides, the minister said. There are also plans to distribute maximum jackfruit saplings among the public to grow it in their backyards as part of plans to expand the cultivation, he said.
The agricultural office in Ambalavayil in Wayanad will be used as a research station for jackfruit. Elephant is the state animal of Kerala, while ‘great hornbill’ the bird and ‘kanikkonna’ the official flower. The state had recently declared pearl spot, popularly known as ‘karimeen’, as its official fish.
- UIDAI faces suit for Aadhaar data leaks, Delhi HC seeks response
- Kerala to get cyclone warning centre, another Doppler radar
- Income tax department allots 1.96 crore PAN during January-March 2018
- 400 dead. Crores lost. The cost of the Kerala floods
- Kerala floods: Insurance claims likely to be upwards of ₹1,000 crore
Editor's Picks »
- MakeMyTrip’s attempts to juggle between growth and profitability
- Kerala’s SoS may not have major impact on asset quality of banks
- Subsidy sharing concerns loom for state-run upstream oil firms
- L&T is better off rewarding investors given the poor investment avenues
- Coal India’s share sale plans eclipse bright outlook for FY19