Less than 200,000 GST e-way bills issued on day 1 of rollout
More than 171,000 GST e-way bills were successfully generated till 5pm on Sunday, according to a government statement
New Delhi: Less than 200,000 e-way bills were issued on the first day of the rollout of this anti-tax evasion measure under the goods and services tax even as authorities gear up for higher volumes on Monday.
More than 171,000 e-way bills were successfully generated till 5pm on Sunday, a government statement said.
Around 1.1 million taxpayers and 19,800 transporters have registered on the e-way bill portal, the statement added.
The goods and services tax network (GSTN) along with the National Informatics centre are handling the e-way bill rollout.
Prakash Kumar, chief executive officer of GSTN, said being a Sunday, the volumes were less.
“The pattern we have seen in our trial runs is that volumes on Sunday are one fourth of that on a working day,” Kumar said adding that very few complaints were received on the first day.
E-way bill is an electronic record of goods movement. E-way bill was made mandatory for inter-state movement of goods from 1 April after technological glitches forced the government to defer the implementation from the initial rollout date of 1 February.
Its implementation is expected to check tax evasion and help in improving revenue buoyancy. Depending on the success of e-way bills for inter state movement, e-way bill will be introduced for movement of goods within a state in the phased manner.
- Arun Jaitley hints at a farm relief package in Interim Budget 2019
- DGCA imposes restrictions on IndiGo, GoAir in operating P&W engines-powered A320 neo planes
- BJP reaches out to allies in North-East to allay their fears on citizenship bill
- Finalize names for Lokpal by Feb-end: SC
- 700,000 treated under Ayushman Bharat: PM
Editor's Picks »
- Q3 results: HUL growth off a high base shows it’s on a roll
- DCB Bank Q3 results: Small loans give big pain as farm, mortgages lift delinquencies
- 1 step forward, 2 steps back. Is GST going the VAT way?
- Mindtree delivers stable Q3 results after a shock Q2
- RIL Q3 results today: Will Reliance Jio, Reliance Retail make up for lost energy?