Home > politics > policy > Mann ki Baat: Narendra Modi reiterates perpetrators of Uri attack will be punished

New Delhi: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday reiterated that those responsible for the Uri attack will be punished for what he called their “cowardly act."

“We lost 18 soldiers in a terror attack in Jammu and Kashmir’s Uri. I pay my tribute to these martyrs. There is anger in the country as this cowardly act was enough to shake the conscience of the people of India. The perpetrators of these attacks will be punished for sure. We have full confidence in Indian Army and we are proud of them," he said during his radio address, Mann ki Baat, on Sunday.

Speaking about the situation in Kashmir, he urged the administration to ensure the security of the people in the wake of the 18 September attack.

“The people of Kashmir have started to recognise those who oppose our country. After all the turmoil even they want their life to get back on track and the administration must ensure the security of the people of Kashmir. Peace, unity and harmony are the ways to resolve problems and move towards development," he said.

Modi also spoke about India’s performance at the recently concluded Paralympics and congratulated the medal winners on their achievement.

“After these games, our perception of the differently abled people has changed. This has been India’s best performance at these games so far," he said, adding that the government will soon come up with a scheme to empower paralympians.

India had sent 19 para-athletes for the event, and it won four medals—two gold, one silver and a bronze.

Speaking about the work done under the Swachh Bharat Abhiyan, which will complete two years on 2 October, he said that 24.8 million toilets had been built in rural areas while 15 million more toilets will be constructed next year.

“Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat and Kerala are very close to becoming open defecation free, while Porbandar in Gujarat which is the birth place of Mahatama Gandhi will become ODF on his birth anniversary on 2 October," he said.

The Prime Minister also urged young entrepreneurs to contribute to the “Waste to Wealth" movement by coming up with start-ups to produce technologies that will help the “Waste to Wealth" industry. He also said that people can dial 1969 to trace the progress of Swachh Bharat Abhiyan or for requesting work in their areas.

Modi also thanked the people for the positive feedback that Mann Ki Baat has received, as the show turns two next month. The first Mann Ki Baat programme was broadcast on the occasion of Vijayadashami on 3 October 2014.

Subscribe to newsletters
* Enter a valid email
* Thank you for subscribing to our newsletter.

Click here to read the Mint ePaper Livemint.com is now on Telegram. Join Livemint channel in your Telegram and stay updated

Close
×
My Reads Logout