Women empowerment need of the hour: Lok Sabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan
Sumitra Mahajan, who spoke as the Lok Sabha met for the day, emphasised on the need to work together for all round development of women for positive change
New Delhi: Women empowerment is the need of the hour as well as a big challenge, Lok Sabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan said on Thursday as she extended greetings on the International Women’s Day.
Mahajan, who spoke on the issue as the Lok Sabha met for the day, emphasised on the need to work together for all round development of women for positive change. “If you consider man and woman as two wings of humanity, their empowerment is absolutely necessary for it to fly high,” she said.
According to her, women empowerment or strengthening women is the need of the hour as well as a big challenge before the world. This year’s theme is ‘Time is now: Rural and Urban activists transforming women’s lives’, she noted. “If we all work for the all round development of women for positive change, then I am sure that India will shine in the global stage,” Mahajan said.
- Karnataka coalition dodges crisis, threat of collapse still looms
- BJP braces for multiple battles as regional satraps come together
- Theresa May wins confidence vote, Brexit is still in crisis
- SP now plans to bring RLD into anti-BJP fold in UP
- Jagan throws weight behind KCR’s federal front plank ahead of polls
Editor's Picks »
- RIL Q3 results: Will Reliance Jio, Reliance Retail make up for lost energy?
- Why Tata Motors’ Project Charge at JLR is failing to recharge its shares
- Outlook on global profit growth worst since 2008 financial crisis
- Q3 results: ICICI Securities loses its retail broking crown
- High drug approvals to keep up pricing pressure for pharma firms