Karnataka considering capital punishment for child rapists
Bengaluru: Karnataka home minister Ramalinga Reddy on Wednesday said that the state government is considering legislation that will award capital punishment to sexual offenders of children below 12 years of age.
Speaking in the Karnataka legislative council, Reddy said that the government is studying the legislation passed by the Madhya Pradesh government in December.
“I have secured a copy of the (MP) legislation and we are considering implementing death penalty for child rapists here also,” Reddy said.
The statement comes at a time when there’s is a visible increase in sexual assault cases in places like Bengaluru.
- Kumaraswamy takes oath as Karnataka chief minister today
- Railways invites applications for recruitment to 9,739 posts in RPF, RPSF
- Centre to extend key schemes to all villages: Amit Shah
- Fuel price hike: Govt to find a way out, says Union minister Shiv Pratab Shukla
- Sterlite protest turns violent in Tamil Nadu, 11 killed in police firing