Home >Politics >Policy >Cabinet takes first step to remove A.K. Ganguly from WBHRC
Justice A.K Ganguly has strongly denied the sexual harassment and refused to quit his post. Photo: Hindustan Times
Justice A.K Ganguly has strongly denied the sexual harassment and refused to quit his post. Photo: Hindustan Times

Cabinet takes first step to remove A.K. Ganguly from WBHRC

A.K. Ganguly is accused of having sexually harassed a law intern who worked under him

New Delhi: The cabinet on Thursday approved a presidential reference in the alleged sexual harassment case involving former Supreme Court judge A.K. Ganguly, taking the first step towards removing him as chief of the West Bengal Human Rights Commission.

Ganguly is accused of having sexually harassed a law intern who worked under him. He has denied the charges and refused to step down from the post.

Earlier, a three-member Supreme Court panel that probed the charges against Ganguly, said there was prima facie evidence against him.

In another development, more than a year after a 23-year-old paramedical student was gang-raped in Delhi in December 2012 in a moving private bus, the government on Thursday approved a proposal to increase security for women in public transport at an estimated cost of 1,405 crore.

This includes installing global positioning systems (GPS) and video recording facilities in public transport across the country.

In the first phase, the project will be implemented in 32 cities that have a population of more than 1 million people. “There are a total of 53 cities which have more than 1 million population and 32 cities will be covered in the first phase of the project," finance minister P. Chidambaram told reporters after a cabinet meeting. The project will be implemented within two years after allocation of funds from the Nirbhaya fund, which was created by the finance ministry last year.

The multi-crore project will allow authorities to map routes of public vehicles, track vehicles and highlight violations on public transport through visual and text signals. Public transport vehicles will also have panic buttons installed for commuters to be able to alert the police.

“The emergency button will generate an alarm in the system. Vehicles that will be provided with facilities for video recording, the city command and control centre will be able to receive pictures of actual incidents and raise an alarm with the nearest police and transport patrol to reach the bus," the Union government said in a statement. “Video recording in public transport vehicles and incidents recorded will be kept for seven days in the onboard unit and will be used as evidence and arrest of accused in case of any incident," it said.

Subscribe to Mint Newsletters
* Enter a valid email
* Thank you for subscribing to our newsletter.

Click here to read the Mint ePaperMint is now on Telegram. Join Mint channel in your Telegram and stay updated with the latest business news.

Close
x
×
My Reads Redeem a Gift Card Logout