New Delhi: Mustafa Dossa, one of the key conspirators in the 1993 Mumbai blasts case, died Wednesday afternoon at Mumbai’s JJ Hospital, a day after the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) sought capital punishment for him.

Dossa died likely from a cardiac arrest hospital authorities said. The hospital added that the real cause of death could be confirmed only after an autopsy. On Tuesday, CBI had demanded death for Dossa at the TADA (Terrorist and Disruptive Activities) court in Mumbai.

Dossa, 60, was rushed to the hospital on Wednesday morning from the jail hospital, after he had complained of severe chest pain.

On 16 June, Dossa and Abu Salem were convicted of criminal conspiracy under Section 120B of the Indian Penal Code (IPC). On 27 June, CBI public prosecutor Deepak Salvi sought the death penalty for Dossa, labeling him as the “main conspirator of the blasts."

Dossa was arrested on 20 March 2003.

On 12 March 1993, between 1:30 and 3:40pm, a series of 12 coordinated bomb blasts rocked what was then called Bombay, killing 257 people and injuring nearly 715. The blasts had ripped through the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), Plaza Cinema, Sea Rock Hotel, Zaveri Bazar and the Airport Centaur Hotel.

A senior intelligence officer, on condition of anonymity, said Dawood Ibrahim was remote controlling the entire operation of the blasts from his hideout, with Tiger Memon and his younger brother Yakub Memon, executing the plan in the city.

“In the days leading up to the blast, and after the demolition of the Babri Masjid in 1992, Dossa was the liaison between Dawood Ibrahim and the other conspirators including Tiger Memon. His own house in Dubai was being used as a proxy launch pad, while he was arranging meetings between Dawood and some others in India and Pakistan," the officer said.

Salvi made a case against Dossa attributing greater importance to his role than that of Yakub Memon. He highlighted the fact that it was indeed he who had facilitated not just the travel plans of people between India and Pakistan and arranged meetings in both countries, but had also provided maximum aid in the transport of arms, ammunition and RDX–“1500 kilos of which had been brought to the city and it could have destroyed all of Mumbai"–Salvi had informed the TADA court, on 27 June.

While both Ibrahim and Tiger Memon are yet to be tried in the case, on 30 July 2015, Yakub Memon–Tiger Memon’s younger brother–was hanged at the Nagpur Central Jail.

With a three-judge bench of the Supreme Court rejecting Memon’s curative petition, Yakub Memon even in his final moments had stated that he was being punished for the crimes of his brother Tiger. Dossa was the second accused in the case after Yakub Memon.

My Reads Logout