Trump issues executive order to keep open Guantanamo Bay prison
US President Donald Trump issues an executive order to keep open the Guantanamo Bay prison base in Cuba, which Barack Obama had ordered put on a path to closure
Washington: President Donald Trump issued an executive order to keep open the prison at the US military’s Guantanamo Bay base in Cuba, the White House announced.
Trump’s predecessor, Barack Obama, had ordered the detention facility be put on a path to closure and the terrorist suspects held there tried or transferred to facilities elsewhere. But his efforts were stymied by Congress. The facility still holds 41 prisoners.
The White House posted a summary of the order on its website Tuesday just before Trump began his State of the Union address. Trump asserted that the US maintains the option to detain additional enemy combatants at the facility when necessary, according to the summary of the order. Bloomberg
- Narendra Modi affirms his govt’s commitment against corruption
- Banking sector in 4 years of Modi govt: Note ban sets off surge in digital transactions
- Ireland votes to liberalize abortion regime in landslide
- Start-ups spared of tax on angel investment above fair valuation
- Mayawati says she will remain BSP president for next 20 years
Editor's Picks »
- Motherson Sumi continues to face margin pressure in foreign markets
- What the Warren Buffett indicator tells us about market valuations today
- Jet Airways lands with a thud in Q4 as fuel costs increase
- IBC amendments: Some dilutions, and a lot more speed
- Patanjali’s gambit is paying off in toothpaste wars