Budget 2018 | National Health Mission: The institutional barrier
- Indian scientists using artificial intelligence to predict early onset of Alzheimer’s
- People need to make preventive measure a habit if India is to become malaria-free by 2027: home insecticides makers
- Bollywood is in love with biopics. But will it last?
- Flipkart wins relief over tax on discounts
- Why homebuyers can’t expect any RERA relief soon
The National Health Mission has been focused on improving infrastructure and access since its inception. Yet, public healthcare facilities remains the last resort for most people, inhibited by poor service quality. Even as the new National Health Policy of 2017 urges a widening of the service net, can outcomes improve without reform of underlying institutional shortcomings?
Use of public healthcare
Unspent balances available with 27 state health societies
Amount spent out of total budget including committed liabilities from previous year
Norm and reality
The staffing constraint
Graphics by Ahmed Raza Khan/Mint