Rahul Gandhi leads Congress fast against communalism, non-functioning of Parliament
Congress president Rahul Gandhi led his party in a nationwide day-long fast against caste violence, communalism and the non-functioning of Parliament
New Delhi: Congress president Rahul Gandhi on Monday led his party in a nationwide day-long fast against caste violence, communalism and the non-functioning of Parliament, for which the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) major blames the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).
Congress workers are observing a day-long fast in all state and district headquarters to voice their protest against the BJP government and to promote communal harmony and peace across the country. Senior Congress leaders Kamal Nath, Sheila Dikshit, P.C. Chacko, the party’s Delhi unit chief Ajay Maken and Congress chief spokesperson Randeep Singh Surjewala were among the leaders at Rajghat, where the fast is being observed.
Party leaders Sajjan Kumar and Jagdish Tytler, both accused in the 1984 anti-Sikh riots, were asked to not sit on the main stage at the protest venue when Gandhi was about to arrive, party leaders said. Kumar left the venue immediately after he was told about it.
Surjewala was quick to hit out at the BJP over the controversy. “Some conspirators in BJP see meaning in everything,” he added. Tytler and Kumar are charged with having a role in the riots in the aftermath of prime minister Indira Gandhi’s assassination by her Sikh bodyguards on 31 October 1984.
- Ties between AIADMK, BJP hit a rough patch over income tax raids
- ED files supplementary charge sheet in AgustaWestland chopper scam case
- Supreme Court on Sabarimala: All men and women have equal right to worship
- US offers India armed version of Guardian drone
- Railways commissioned 30% fewer tracks in FY18, the lowest in first 4 years of Modi govt
Editor's Picks »
- France’s Engie appoints Rothschild to find a buyer for Indian solar biz
- Going into 2019, has brand Modi lost some of its sheen?
- Sun Pharma’s cancer injection from Halol plant gets USFDA nod
- A click moment for us was raising ₹100 crore in seed round to chase our dreams: Manish Lunia
- HDFC mutual fund arm to launch its ₹2,800 crore initial share sale next week
- Fund managers slashing allocations to equities in emerging markets, shows BAML survey
- ICICI Lombard tightens grip on profitability in a lean growth quarter
- TCNS Clothing IPO: Valuations capture the upsides adequately
- Nightmare of Indian Accounting Standard 115 comes to haunt firms in the real estate sector
- What is driving the optimism in stocks of paint companies?