New Delhi: India on Sunday said Google’s local unit has blocked access to a movie that disparages Islam and Prophet Mohammed, following protests across the Arab world that claimed the lives of the US ambassador to Libya and three other US personnel in Benghazi last week.

The foreign ministry also said it was in touch with the US over the situation arising out of the protests made by an amateur film maker and uploaded on the YouTube web site in the US. Google owns YouTube, which has already blocked the clip in Libya and Egypt, citing the sensitive situation there. It also blocked it in Indonesia after the government told YouTube the video broke its laws.

“In connection with recent events, we would like to reiterate that India has always condemned all acts that disparage religious beliefs and hurt religious sentiments," foreign ministry spokesman Syed Akbaruddin said.

“The ministry of external affairs is in touch with US officials who share our concerns on the matter, “ he said. Search engine Google’s Indian subsidiary Google India “has in compliance with Indian law blocked access to the offensive material", he said.

India has about 140 million Muslims constituting between 13-14 % of its billion plus population. There have been some protests in India against the film in the Muslim majority region of Kashmir and Tamil Nadu.

Close