Rahul Gandhi likely to file nomination for Congress president post on 4 Dec
Former PM Manmohan Singh and ex-union minister A.K. Antony are likely to propose Rahul Gandhi’s candidature for the Congress president’s post
New Delhi: Rahul Gandhi is expected to file nomination for the election to the Congress president’s post on 4 December, people familiar with the matter said in Delhi.
Former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and ex-Union minister A.K. Antony are likely to propose his candidature. The notification for the election will be issued on Friday. Nominations can be filed till 4 December.
Following scrutiny of nominations on 5 December, the list of valid candidatures will be put out on the same day at 3:30pm. The last date of withdrawal of nomination for the election is 11 December and polling will take place on 16 December in case more than one candidate is in the race.
Counting of votes and declaration of results will take, however, the sources said that no other contender is expected to challenge Gandhi.
“The Congress vice president is expected to file the nomination on the morning of 4 December,” said a person aware of the development.
Meanwhile, forms were distributed today to state returning officials (PROs) appointed by the party for the organisational polls. The forms will carry names of Pradesh Congress committee (PCC) delegates, who in turn will nominate the contender for the top post.
The number of delegates to be nominated varies from state to state. For example, a small state may have 10 delegates. Big states like Uttar Pradesh, Maharashtra or Bihar may have 30-40 delegates. “It is a foregone conclusion that each delegate will back Gandhi’s nomination,” another source said.
- Bill to curb ponzi schemes tabled in Lok Sabha
- European Union to curb steel imports after Trump tariffs
- Controversial bank reconstruction bill may be pulled out
- H-1B visas: India ‘closely engaged’ with US govt: V.K. Singh
- US-led trade war has become biggest ‘confidence killer’ for global economy, says China
Editor's Picks »
- Fund managers slashing allocations to equities in emerging markets, shows BAML survey
- ICICI Lombard tightens grip on profitability in a lean growth quarter
- TCNS Clothing IPO: Valuations capture the upsides adequately
- Nightmare of Indian Accounting Standard 115 comes to haunt firms in the real estate sector
- What is driving the optimism in stocks of paint companies?