PNB fraud: Belgium assures cooperation in extraditing Nirav Modi
Belgian ambassador to India Jan Luykx assured cooperation by the European country in extraditing Nirav Modi
Kolkata: Belgian ambassador to India Jan Luykx on Tuesday assured of the western European country’s cooperation in extraditing fugitive diamantaire Nirav Modi.
The Enforcement Directorate (ED) has sought his extradition in connection with a money laundering case from Belgium, the UK and a few other countries.
“We always cooperate,” Luykx said in reply to a question on the sidelines of a Merchants’ Chamber of Commerce session. “There is an extradition treaty (between Belgium and India) that is old, but still exists. We are a country that respects treaties. Rule of law applies in Belgium,” he said.
The envoy, however, said as it is a legal issue there would be a procedure for such things.
Modi’s extradition was sought on the basis of a recent charge sheet filed by the ED against the diamond merchant and his family under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA). The ED had moved a special court in Mumbai on Monday seeking the extradition.
According to officials, the extradition request was made to multiple countries as Modi had been continuously changing his location across the globe.
Modi, his uncle and jeweller Mehul Choksi and others are being probed by various agencies after the Rs13,000 crore Punjab National Bank fraud came to light.
The CBI and the ED have registered two FIRs each in connection with the case. Both are said to have left the country before the criminal cases were filed against them.
- Railways to propose Rs 40,000 crore-Kharagpur-Vijaywada freight corridor for Budget 2019
- Bengal woos IT firms with ‘Infrastructure as a Service’
- Massive relief, rescue operations in flood-hit Kerala; defence forces deployed
- Kerala rains: Stranded people appeal for help through social media
- Kerala floods: Water level inside Kochi airport rises, airlines advised to cap fares
Editor's Picks »
- Recent rise in trade deficit is not due to the oil prices
- Safeguard duty proposal has deepened uncertainty in the solar energy sector
- Fortis Healthcare: What now, after IHH entry and June quarter loss?
- Weak Q1 for Amara Raja but investors pin hopes on softening lead prices
- IDBI Bank Q1 results show how expensive it is for LIC