New Delhi: India will not be satisfied unless Pakistan gives maximum punishment to the perpetrators of the 26/11 Mumbai terror strikes, defence minister A.K. Antony said on Monday.

“We have explained many times. They (Pakistan) should book the culprits and unless these culprits are given maximum punishment, I don’t think our nation will be satisfied," he told reporters on the eve of the fifth anniversary of the 2008 attacks.

The minister was asked what expectation did India have from Pakistan and what has happened on the ground five years after the attack.

More than 160 people were killed and several hundred were left injured when 10 terrorists attacked India through the sea route. Nine terrorists were killed in encounter with the National Security Guards (NSG) and the local police forces.

The only militant captured alive during the encounter was Ajmal Kasab, who was given capital punishment earlier this year after a proper legal procedure.

Antony said prior to the attacks, the “coastal security apparatus was very weak but now we have been able to establish a vibrant and strong coastal security mechanisms and coordination is also good."

Pakistan has also been holding investigations against the people accused to be perpetrators behind the attacks but not much has come out it as nobody has so far been punished there in the case. PTI

For extensive coverage on 26/11 go to www.livemint.com/26/11

Close