Passenger safety will be topmost priority of railways: Ashwani Lohani
New Delhi: The safety of passengers will be the topmost priority of the railways, new Railway Board chairman Ashwani Lohani said after assuming the charge on Thursday.
The railway ministry had on Wednesday appointed Lohani as the chairman of Railway Board after A.K. Mital had tendered his resignation following two derailments within a span of five days.
“Safety will be our topmost priority, of course. Cleanliness, improvement of stations, and ending corruption and VIP culture would be other areas of focus,” Lohani told reporters in New Delhi. He further said it was an “emotional moment for me”. “There are lot of expectations and the railways will work hard to improve.”
Lohani, an officer of the railway mechanical service, had earlier served as the divisional railway manager (DRM) in Delhi.
- JD (S) releases 3D game to shed anti-urban image
- Steve Smith admit ball tampering in 3rd test against South Africa
- Students march across US demanding stricter gun laws after mass shootings
- IIM-Ahmedabad raises PG management program fee to Rs22 lakh
- RLD, Nishad Party expel MLAs for cross-voting in Rajya Sabha elections in UP