Home / Politics / Policy /  Gurgaon traffic situation eases

Gurgaon: The chock-a-block situation in Gurgaon eased on Saturday with police officials deployed at 14 crucial points in the city, including Hero Honda Chowk, to ensure smooth flow of traffic.

Police commissioner Navdeep Singh Virk said there were no traffic jams in the city but the traffic movement was slow.

“There is no jam but traffic movement is slow. ACP and other officers are present on the spot. All media persons are requested to cooperate so that there is no panic among citizens," police commissioner Navdeep Singh Virk.

However, traffic jams on account of waterlogging were reported from Sohna Road and other major roads. A 5km long jam has been reported from Badshahpur Vatika Chowk.

Long tailbacks were witnessed in gridlocked roads in Gurgaon last two days due to severe waterlogging on National Highway-8 after heavy rains lashed Delhi’s satellite city, leaving thousands of commuters stranded and forcing authorities to clamp prohibitory orders near Hero Honda chowk.

Also Read: Why are our cities struggling to deal with rain?

Schools were also ordered to be shut down for two days. The jams, which on some roads had stretched for 15km, eased after prohibitory orders — which bans large gatherings and is usually reserved for troubled areas — was imposed Friday on a key crossing for several hours.

The prohibitory orders were lifted last night after the situation on the roads normalised but overnight rains contributed to slow traffic movement causing trouble to commuters.

Virk said 14 crucial points have been identified on the NH-8 and other parts of the city where round-the-clock forces have been deployed including SHOs, four ACPs at west, east, south zones and Sohna road.

“At each point, inspector-rank officers have been deputed along with police personnel. Duty has been divided in two shifts, day shift from 8am to 8pm and night shift from 8pm to 8am. These duties will continue till further orders," he added.

The 14 crucial points are Hero Honda Chowk, Rajiv Chowk, Jharsa Chowk, Signature Tower Chowk, IFFCO Chowk, Shankar Chowk, Subhash Chowk, Golf Course Extension Road intersection on Sohna Road, Main Chowk in Sohna, Maharana Pratap Chowk, Atul Kataria Chowk, IMT Manesar Chowk, HUDA City Center Station and sector 31 redlight and their vicinity.

Also Read: How relentless showers forced Gurgaon to a grinding halt

Virk said officials have been ordered to keep a watch on the situation and ensure smooth movement of traffic in their areas. In case of any adverse situation, they should rush to the spot and take control.

PCR will take hourly updates 24 hours a day on the traffic and flooding situation till further orders. In case of any disruption in traffic, the police commissioner would be informed.

Former Haryana chief minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda blamed the Khattar government for the chaos. “It is a serious situation, I went to Parliament yesterday and got to know from various journalists and other people that they were stranded for long. Who is responsible for this situation? The government could have avoided this situation," he told reporters.

“We had completed 90% work on Dwarka Expressway during our tenure which would have diverted traffic. Present government could not complete remaining 10% in the last two years," he added.

Catch all the Politics News and Updates on Live Mint. Download The Mint News App to get Daily Market Updates & Live Business News.
More Less

Recommended For You

Trending Stocks

Get alerts on WhatsApp
Set Preferences My ReadsWatchlistFeedbackRedeem a Gift CardLogout