Mumbai airport sees flight delays, strike by Air India ground staff
Several flights from Mumbai airport have been hit since last night because of a strike called by staff of Air India Air Transport Services Limited over Diwali bonus, according to reports.
New Delhi: Due to a strike by transport workers of Air India, several flights from Mumbai’s Chattrapathi Shivaji International Airport have been delayed, according to a report. The contractual ground staff of Air India Air Transport Services Limited (AIATSL) at Mumbai airport are on a strike since last night to protest against sacking of some workers.
An Air India spokesperson said they are assessing the situation and all efforts are being made to minimise delay in services by deputing permanent employees of the airline in handling the work.
At least two international flights were delayed from Mumbai airport. A Bangkok-bound flight was delayed by over six hours and left 8:18am instead of 1:45am and another to Newark left at 4:08am, two-and-a-half hours after its scheduled departure of 1:30am.
Although Air India said that only early morning flights from Mumbai have been delayed by two hours, several passengers ranted on Twitter over getting stranded at Mumbai airport since last night due to the strike.
Editor's Picks »
- Future Retail’s Q2 result shows improvement in same-store sales
- Private insurance firms grow at the expense of LIC stuck with a sick bank
- Page Industries’s lofty valuations get a reality check in Q2
- Q2 results: Grasim’s Vodafone Idea stake is proving costly
- How Vodafone Idea’s $3.5 bn fundraising will impact telecom in India