Bengaluru building collapse leaves 3 dead, 7 injured, several still trapped
Those injured in the Bengaluru building collapse in Kasavanahalli have been shifted to a nearby hospital while rescue operations have been taken up on a war-footing
Bengaluru: A five-storey under-construction building collapsed Bengaluru on Thursday, killing at least three persons and injuring seven others. Several others are feared trapped, police said.
Those injured in the Bengaluru building collapse have been shifted to a nearby hospital while rescue operations have been taken up on a war-footing. The condition of one of the injured is said to be critical.
According to Bengaluru police, the under-construction building at Kasavanahalli suddenly collapsed around 3.30pm, trapping many. Fire brigade and police personnel, who were informed, launched rescue operations assisted by local people. Two labourers were found dead under the debris while one of the rescued succumbed to injuries in hospital, Bengaluru mayor R. Sampath Raj said.
Deputy commissioner of police of Whitefield division, Abdul Ahad, said the building belonged to one Rafique from HSR Layout. “We are gathering more information.It was developed to accommodate paying guests but later the owner tried to convert it into a commercial building,” he said.
The construction had started six years ago but was stopped midway. Six months ago, construction work restarted, the deputy commissioner said.
It is learnt that there were labourers from other states as well. Raj said the building collapsed because of weak foundation. “Rescue team is at work.... the rescuers have gone inside the building,” he said. “We will initiate action against the owner and the contractor but our priority is to rescue people trapped under the debris,” Raj said.
Editor's Picks »
- Yogi Adityanath leads BJP offensive against Shiv Sena in Palghar
- The one-child policy had limited impact on growth
- RBSE 12 result 2018: Science, Commerce results declared at rajresults.nic.in, rajeduboard.rajasthan.gov.in
- You are not imagining it. Your job is absolutely BS
- Demand for space-saving furniture seen picking up
- Same-store sales growth trips at Future Retail
- Cipla Q4 FY18 results no reason to reverse stock underperformance
- Dr Reddy’s Q4: It’s a wait and watch, share price spike notwithstanding
- What SBI Q4 results say about the Indian economy and the bank
- Patanjali’s slowing growth does not mean that Colgate’s is accelerating