Rural development minister Narendra Singh Tomar allayed apprehensions regarding cuts in central funds for the PMGSY programme which provides for the construction of all-weather roads in rural areas.  Photo: Hindustan Times
Rural development minister Narendra Singh Tomar allayed apprehensions regarding cuts in central funds for the PMGSY programme which provides for the construction of all-weather roads in rural areas.
Photo: Hindustan Times

Narendra Singh Tomar assures states of no discrimination in funds allocation for PMGSY

Rural development minister Narendra Singh Tomar says so far 65% of rural habitations had been connected by all-weather roads and the remaining 35% would be connected by March 2019

New Delhi: Rural development minister Narendra Singh Tomar on Tuesday assured state governments that his ministry would not discriminate against any state with regard to the allocation of funds for construction of rural roads under the flagship Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana or PMGSY.

Replying to the half-hour debate on PMGSY in the Lok Sabha, Tomar said that so far 65% of rural habitations had been connected by all-weather roads and the remaining 35% would be connected by March 2019.

Tomar told the MPs that of the 183,599 rural habitations in the country, connectivity had been sanctioned for 151,098 habitations.

He allayed apprehensions of members regarding cuts in central funds for the programme which provides for the construction of all-weather roads in rural areas. While budgetary provision for the PMGSY was around 9,000 crore in 2012-13, it had been increased to 19,000 crore in 2015-16, the minister said, in an illustration of the National Democratic Alliance government’s commitment to the programme.

Tomar added that after the recommendation of the 14th Finance Commission were accepted by the government, the states were now getting 42% share of funds as against 32% earlier.

Between 2011 and 2014, 73 km of roads were built per day, while at present 100 km of roads are being built every day. The target is 133 km a day, he said.

The minister said “green" and sustainable techniques and raw materials had been used for the construction of over 2,500 km of rural roads.

Close