Demonetisation: Farmers protest in Muzaffarnagar over cash shortage
Hundreds of cash-strapped farmers led by Bharatiya Kisan Union (BKU) protested outside a bank at a village in the district
Muzaffarnagar: In the wake of the Centre’s demonetisation move, hundreds of cash-strapped farmers led by Bharatiya Kisan Union (BKU) protested outside a bank and gheraoed the officials at Khudda village in the district, police said on Tuesday.
The farmers staged a dharna outside the Punjab National Bank (PNB) branch in the village yesterday after they were unable to get cash from the bank.
In Biralsi village, people facing shortage of cash protested outside a PNB branch after they were unbale to withdraw money from their accounts.
Similarly in Miranpur town here, villagers angered over not getting money held protested yesterday.
Meanwhile, Congress activists also held a protest in the district against the Union government’s decision due to which Rs500 and Rs1,000 notes stood defunct.
Editor's Picks »
- Hindustan Zinc dividend payout offsets dull Q2 results
- Q2 results no blockbuster for Inox Leisure as margins disappoint
- NBFC scare shaves 8.5% of IndusInd Bank share price
- Q2 results portent a dull Diwali for paint stocks investors
- Reliance Jio seen overtaking Vodafone Idea, Airtel to become India’s largest telecom firm by 2018-end