Texas shooting: Multiple fatalities reported at Santa Fe high school, says report
The school district in Santa Fe, said the situation was ‘active, but has been contained’
New York: Multiple people were killed on Friday in a shooting at a high school in Santa Fe, Texas, CNN reported, in the latest gun violence in a country still shaken by the massacre at a Florida high school in February.
Citing unnamed sources, CNN said there were multiple fatalities after the shooting at the school about 30 miles (48 km) southeast of Houston.
The sheriff’s office for nearby Harris County said its deputies were assisting with a “multiple-casualty incident.”
“This is no longer an active shooting situation and the injured are being treated,” the sheriff’s department said on Twitter.
The school district in Santa Fe, said the situation was “active, but has been contained.” Local media reported that a suspect was in custody.
US President Donald Trump wrote of the shooting on Twitter: “Early reports not looking good. God bless all!”
School shooting in Texas. Early reports not looking good. God bless all!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) May 18, 2018
The latest such incident at a US school underscored a national debate over gun control and gun rights that has intensified after an assailant killed 17 students and staff on 14 February at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida.
- Vajpayee critical, still on life support system, says AIIMS
- Heavy rains continue in Kerala, some relief camps get flooded
- Oil rises, base metals claw back ground as China, US set for trade talks
- Kerala floods: PM asks defence ministry to step up relief, rescue operations
- US says Turkey tariffs to stay; Erdogan gets $15 billion Qatar lifeline
Editor's Picks »
- Recent rise in trade deficit is not due to the oil prices
- Safeguard duty proposal has deepened uncertainty in the solar energy sector
- Fortis Healthcare: What now, after IHH entry and June quarter loss?
- Weak Q1 for Amara Raja but investors pin hopes on softening lead prices
- IDBI Bank Q1 results show how expensive it is for LIC