Rice export deal with Indonesia to be finalised soon: trade secretary
- Deutsche Bank scales back investment bank as profit drops
- News in Numbers: India ranks 138 on World’s Press Freedom Index
- Govt may buy RBI’s stake in National Housing Bank
- The latest updates to Gmail for web will make you more productive, keep data secure
- Yes Bank Q4 profit rises 29% to Rs1,179.44 crore
New Delhi: India, the world’s biggest rice exporter, will soon finalise a non-basmati rice exports contract with Indonesia in a rare government-to-government deal, trade secretary Rita Teaotia said on Monday, as rice prices started firming up following drought in key producing countries.
India could ask the state-run Food Corporation of India (FCI) to sell around 1 million tonnes rice from its stockpile to Indonesia, the world’s leading rice importer, industry officials said.
Rice prices in Asia are hovering around their highest levels in two years. Reuters