Wildlife wish list for 2015
India’s top wildlife biologists, marine scientists and photographers list their best moments of 2014 and their conservation goals for 2015
- Women at the forefront of anti-Sterlite protests
- Kerala: Chengannur bypoll today, CPM, Congress gear up to thwart BJP
- Why Palghar bypoll is important for BJP in Maharashtra
- Chandrababu Naidu sounds poll bugle for 2019 elections, tears into BJP
- Kerala bypoll: CPM will win comfortably in Chengannur, says party leader
News on the environment front always seems depressing. I started 2015 by reaching out to an army of people—photographers, wildlife biologists, marine scientists, birders—to ask what their best moment was from 2014 and what they hoped to achieve this year as far as the wild world was concerned.
As I started getting inputs from this green army, I found my spirits lifting, knowing that there are men and women out there working to protect the planet and, through them, living their best moments out in the wild in 2014. The range of animals, birds and habitats they work on creates hope that in spite of all the pressures of our modernizing economy, there is still a lot of biodiversity in India and much to save! So here’s a personal account of India’s top wildlife biologists, scientists and photographers, their best moments of 2014 and their conservation goals for 2015.
1. K.S. Gopi Sundar, director, SarusScape program, International Crane Foundation
2. Aparajita Datta, wildlife biologist, Nature Conservation Foundation
3. T.R. Shankar Raman, scientist, Western Ghats
4. Divya Mudappa, scientist, Western Ghats
5. Sandesh Kadur, National Geographic emerging explorer
6. Deepak Apte, marine biologist, COO, Bombay Natural History Society
7. Firoz Ahmed, wildlife biologist, Aaranyak
8. Nirmal Kulkarni, ecologist, Mhadei Research Centre, Goa
9. Sathyabhama Das Biju, associate professor, Delhi University
10. Kalyan Varma, wildlife photographer and filmmaker
Bahar Dutt is a conservation biologist and author of the book Green Wars.
Photographs by the wildlife experts themselves.
Editor's Picks »
- Motherson Sumi continues to face margin pressure in foreign markets
- What the Warren Buffett indicator tells us about market valuations today
- Jet Airways lands with a thud in Q4 as fuel costs increase
- IBC amendments: Some dilutions, and a lot more speed
- Patanjali’s gambit is paying off in toothpaste wars