News in numbers: Usain Bolt takes just 9.81 seconds to win 100m title at Rio
In other news, India’s Dipa Karmakar scored 15.006 points, her career’s best, in the vault final at Rio Olympics
- We have no role in selection of Reliance Defence for Rafale deal: Govt
- Rahul asks Modi to reply to Hollande’s claim on Rafale
- Rafale deal: French govt says not involved in choice of Indian partners
- India ‘arrogant’ for cancelling rare meeting: Imran Khan
- PM Modi inaugurates Odisha’s second airport at Jharsuguda
What is it? The time taken by Usain Bolt of Jamaica to win the 100 metres title at Rio Olympics 2016.
Why is it important? He is the only athlete to win the 100 metres race three times, in three consecutive Olympics. On the previous two occasions (2008 in Beijing and 2012 in London), he broke his own world record . Bolt has two more races (200 metres and 4x100 relay) to compete.
Tell me more: At 6-feet-5-inch, Bolt is taller than his competitors. This means he takes only 40 or 41 strides to complete the 100 metres, as compared to his competitors who take 43 or more.
What is it? India’s Dipa Karmakar scored 15.006 points, her career’s best, in the vault final at Rio Olympics. But it was 0.15 points short off to win the bronze medal.
Why is it important? This is the first time ever an Indian female gymnast took part in the Olympics, and she is also one of the five gymnasts who have successfully landed the ‘Produnova’, often called “the vault of death” because a faulty landing could be life threatening. On Sunday, Karmakar tried Produnova but landed on her backside.
Tell me more: Indian hockey team, which entered the knockout stage of Olympics after a gap of 36 years, lost to Belgium 1-3 in a quarterfinal match.
What is it? The number of taxpayers—spread across various states paying different forms of taxes like value-added tax (VAT), service tax and central excise tax—who have to be brought under the proposed goods and services tax (GST).
Why is it important? Integrating these taxpayers from 36 states and Union Territories into Goods and Services Tax Network (GSTN), the Information Technology backbone, will be key for the successful roll-out of GST, which is touted as the biggest tax reform to make India a single market.
Tell me more: Existing payers of various taxes will be allotted an unique identification under GST, and would not be required to fill any other forms under the proposed new tax regime.
What is it? The number of gold pots missing from the vaults of Sree Padmanabhaswamy temple in Kerala, according to a report submitted by former Comptroller and Auditor General of India Vinod Rai to the Supreme Court.
Why is it important? The estimated value of the gold that went missing is Rs.186 crore. Also, it was found that 30% of the gold sent for melting and purification was lost. Rai, in his report , had recommended a detailed probe into the missing gold.
Tell me more: Courts got involved in the affairs of the temple after a lawyer, Ananda Padmanabhan, filed a case in 2007 alleging that Sree Uthradom Thirunal Marthanda Varma, who was custodian of the temple, had mismanaged the affairs. Marthanda Varma was the head of the family that once ruled Kerala.
What is it? The number of provident fund subscribers who will be able to offer their retirement savings as collateral to buy low-cost houses, and also to pay as equated monthly instalments.
Why is it important? The proposal, if approved, will help factory workers who earn less income and are often not eligible for mortgage loans to buy low-cost houses.
Tell me more: India has 247 million households, but only 213 million live in their own houses. Even among them, 83 million households live in single-room houses.
howindialives.com is a search engine for public data.
Editor's Picks »
- IL&FS unit chief resigns amid default crisis at group
- Tata Steel to buy Usha Martin’s steel business for up to Rs 4,700 crore
- Apple’s new smartwatch will monitor your heart only in the US, not in India or elsewhere
- Are 5 year-old smartphones still relevant today?
- OPEC and allies struggle to pump more oil as Iran supply falls
- India’s renewable energy sector hits a milestone but loses speed
- All eyes now on share swap ratio in this mega bank merger
- Jet Privilege can actually get higher valuation than Jet Airways
- Profitability of cement firms to take a hit due to weak prices, high costs
- Pidilite’s shares hold their ground despite weak rupee and rising crude