New Delhi: The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has accused suspended Indian Premier League (IPL) commissioner Lalit Modi of proposing the creation of a parallel IPL in England and Wales at a meeting he held with the heads of three English county cricket boards on 31 March in New Delhi.

“In this meeting, you have allegedly given a presentation of what is purported to be a vision of IPL to be conducted with Indian franchisees of IPL who would bid again for each of the nine counties in UK," said a show-cause notice sent to Modi by BCCI honorary secretary N. Srinivasan.

More flak: A file photo of Lalit Modi. Abhijit Bhatlekar/Mint

Modi allegedly offered a structured deal by which returns would be shared 80:20 between the franchisees and the counties, a player’s model based on the IPL and offered inducements to gather other counties to support the proposal.

Modi met with Stewart M. Regan, chief executive of the Yorkshire county cricket club, David Dodgekeiss, a representative of Lancashire, and Colin Povey of Warwickshire to make the proposal, according to the notice dated Thursday.

The show-cause notice said the president and honorary secretary of the BCCI had been sent an e-mail by Giles Clarke, chairman of the England and Wales Cricket Board, about what it called a “threat posed by your alleged actions to the authority of the said body as well as structure of world cricket itself."

Modi was suspended as IPL commissioner on 26 April, when the BCCI alleged several irregularities in his tenure.

The BCCI gave Modi 15 days to reply to the latest allegations.

priyanka.m@livemint.com

Close