Congress, NCP announce alliance in Goa
Congress fields Ravi Naik from North Goa and Aleix Reginald Lourenco from South Goa
Panaji: Congress and Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) announced their alliance in Goa here on Sunday for the Lok Sabha polls, with the latter pledging support to both candidates fielded by the former.
Local leaders of both parties addressed a joint press conference on Sunday announcing their pre-poll alliance to keep Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) at bay.
Goa NCP president Nilkant Halarnkar told reporters that the Sharad Pawar-led party’s leaders have asked the Goa unit to support Congress candidates in both North Goa and South Goa constituencies for Lok Sabha polls.
The NCP, which had earlier declared its plans to contest in Goa independent of the Congress, said that the earlier announcement was made because talks between both the parties were “yet to begin”.
“We had decided to contest independently because talks had not begun between the high commands of both parties and we were asked to keep our candidates ready for both constituencies,” Halarnkar said.
Goa Congress president John Fernandes said both the parties are together to work against communal BJP candidates. The Congress has announced Ravi Naik as its candidate from North Goa and Aleix Reginald Lourenco from South Goa.
Editor's Picks »
- Mukesh Ambani vs Jeff Bezos set to begin from Gujarat
- Marco Pierre White: ‘Chefs are not geniuses or artists, they are just workers’
- RBI will take steps to help sustain growth: Shaktikanta Das
- India is at par with China in space race: Isro’s K. Sivan
- AAP rules out alliance with Congress for Elections 2019
- What to expect from Q3 results of IndiGo, SpiceJet, Jet Airways
- Forget privatisation, govt has hugged its banks tighter
- Flat profit, rising debt are growing worries for Reliance
- Q3 results: HUL growth off a high base shows it’s on a roll
- DCB Bank Q3 results: Small loans give big pain as farm, mortgages lift delinquencies