Donald Trump identifies India among major drug producing or transit countries
US President Donald Trump has identified 22 countries as major illicit drug producing or transit nations, including India
Washington: US President Donald Trump has identified India along with 21 other countries as among the major illicit drug producing or transit nations.
In addition to India, other south Asian countries identified as major drug transit or major illicit drug producing countries are Afghanistan, Pakistan and Myanmar. Other countries are The Bahamas, Belize, Bolivia, Colombia, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Laos, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Peru, and Venezuela.
“A country’s presence on the foregoing list is not necessarily a reflection of its government’s counter narcotics efforts or level of cooperation with the US,” Trump said. The reason major drug transit or illicit drug producing countries are placed on the list is the combination of geographic, commercial, and economic factors that allow drugs to transit or be produced, even if a government has carried out the most assiduous narcotics control law enforcement measures, he said.
Simultaneously, Trump designated Bolivia and Venezuela as countries that have failed during the previous 12 months to meet their obligations under international agreements.
“In addition, the US government seriously considered designating Colombia as a country that has failed demonstrably to adhere to its obligations under international counter narcotics agreements due to the extraordinary growth of coca cultivation and cocaine production over the past three years, including record cultivation during the last 12 months,” he said.
Ultimately, Colombia is not designated because the Colombian national police and armed forces are close law enforcement and security partners of the US in the Western Hemisphere, they are improving interdiction efforts, and have restarted some eradication that they had significantly curtailed beginning in 2013, Trump said. PTI
- Motorcycles matter as trade tensions rise
- India’s future lies in creating carbon-neutral cities, says Danfoss India’s Purushothaman
- Rural neglect cause for urban woes: Nitin Gadkari
- ‘Smart cities are not only about sensors and gadgets but also mobility, development, jobs’
- Panama Papers leak: Government vows time-bound probe
Editor's Picks »
- Why Indian paint makers are shifting to water-based paints
- 2019 elections still some time away but defence stocks get the jitters
- Complan and Horlicks sale signals low energy in health drinks market
- With fall of the last dove, MPC minutes portend more than one RBI rate hike
- RITES IPO ticks the valuations box, but not the growth one