Amarinder Singh to contest against Arun Jaitley from Amritsar
Senior Congress leader Ambika Soni is nominated to contest from Anandpur Sahib
New Delhi: Former Punjab chief minister and senior party leader Amarinder Singh will be the Congress’s candidate against senior Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Arun Jaitley in Amritsar, the party announced on Friday.
Singh had said on Thursday that he did not want to contest from Amritsar, and that it would be better if a local candidate were to stand.
Senior Congress leader Ambika Soni was nominated to contest from Anandpur Sahib, Punjab, according to the latest list of candidates for the coming Lok Sabha election released on Friday. The list comprised 21 candidates for West Bengal, two each for Punjab and Bihar and one for Maharashtra.
Editor's Picks »
- Reliance Jio seen overtaking Vodafone Idea, Airtel to become India’s largest telecom firm by 2018-end
- ArcelorMittal’s Essar Steel acquisition: Who wins, who loses
- UltraTech’s dismal Q2 results darken outlook on cement sector
- NBFC liquidity crisis set to worsen real estate sector woes
- RBI pause on interest rate hike may last only till December