2G case: CBI seeks time to file reply on Shahid Balwa’s plea1 min read . Updated: 22 May 2014, 06:53 PM IST
The agency told special CBI judge that it was not ready with the response and would file it within a day or two
New Delhi: The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) on Thursday sought time to file its response before a Delhi court to Swan Telecom Pvt. Ltd promoter Shahid Balwa’s plea seeking permission to withdraw the answers given by him earlier in reply to the court’s query in the 2G spectrum allocation case.
CBI, which was scheduled to file its reply on Thursday, told special CBI judge O.P. Saini that it was not ready with the response and would file it within a day or two. The court, after hearing the submissions advanced by the CBI prosecutor, posted the matter for hearing on 28 May and asked the agency to file its reply soon.
Balwa had filed a plea contending he will “not raise any question of prejudice caused to him on the ground of non-understanding of any questions" asked by the court. He had also requested the court to take on record the written answers afresh. He had said that during recording of his statement, which was deferred by the judge, all the questions were “explained properly" by the court and due to “some inadvertence" it was recorded in some questions that he was not able to understand some of the queries.
CBI had earlier contended that Balwa’s contention that he did not understand questions asked by the court under the provisions of the Code of Criminal Procedure was only to take advantage in the future. However, Balwa had apologized to the judge, saying he had not done anything intentionally.
The stage for the recording of evidence of former telecom minister A. Raja and 16 other co-accused, including Dravida Munnettra Kazhagam MP (member of Parliament) Kanimozhi was set earlier when the court had supplied a draft questionnaire containing 1,718 questions running into 824 pages to the accused.