J&K encounter: Army jawan killed, 3 civilians die in clashes
An Army jawan succumbed to his injuries on Wednesday after a gunbattle with terrorists in J&K‘s Kulgam district, even as 3 civilians were killed in a separate clash
Srinagar:An Army jawan was killed during a gunbattle with militants in Jammu and Kashmir’s Kulgam district and three civilians, including two teenagers, died in clashes between locals and security forces that followed, officials said.
Local residents started pelting security personnel with stones, leading to clashes in which around 20 civilians were also injured, they said.
Security forces had launched a cordon and search operation in the district’s Khudwani area last night, following information about presence of militants there, officials said.
They said a gunbattle broke out between the militants and the security forces in the early hours.
Three security force personnel were injured in the initial exchange of firing. Later one of the them, an Army jawan, succumbed to injuries, the officials said.
Sarjeel Ahmad (25), Faisal Ilahi (14) and Bilal Ahamad Tantray (16) succumbed to injuries at a hospital, they said.
- Delhi’s air quality improves but authorities warn pollution may increase
- France to send aircraft carrier to Indian Ocean next year
- Narendra Modi congratulates Bhutan’s newly elected PM Lotay Tshering
- 50 dead as train mows down revellers in Amritsar
- China’s economic growth slows amid trade battle with US
Editor's Picks »
- Policy rethink and higher volumes to aid container shippers
- DCB Bank delivers a strong Q2 but pressure on margins foreseen
- Havells India: Rising costs give a jolt to profitability in September quarter
- All’s well at Mindtree, except for high client concentration risk
- India’s rising steel demand is making companies starry-eyed