New Delhi: Spotlight continues to remain on the alleged discovery of unsafe substances in Nestlé India Ltd’s instant noodle brand Maggi with a Delhi government official calling the popular snack unsafe for consumption and Karnataka and Haryana governments deciding to test samples on Tuesday.

A senior official in the Delhi government said Maggi samples were found unsafe in tests it conducted and said a ban is not ruled out.

Several states have taken notice after authorities in Uttar Pradesh said they detected excessive monosodium glutamate and lead in the product.

On Tuesday, Kerala government pulled out Maggi noodles from the 1,400 units of its retail outlets Kerala State Civil Supplies Corp. Ltd, also known as Supplyco. The government said Maggi won’t be sold at its outlets until there is clarity on its safety. Governments of Karnataka and Haryana have directed their officials to source samples randomly and test them for food safety.

“We have taken cognizance of reports of alleged lapses of food safety standards in Maggi. I have ordered my department to lift samples of these noodles from across the state for laboratory testing," Haryana’s health minister Anil Vij told PTI in Chandigarh.

In Karnataka, health minister U.T. Khader told PTI that officials have been directed to randomly lift samples for laboratory testing. He said there were four Maggi manufacturing units in the state. He said the collected samples will be sent to national-level laboratory units in Mysuru and another private laboratory in Bengaluru.

“If need be, we will send the samples to laboratories situated in other states. However, we have not taken any decision on it," he said. Khader said he has directed his officials to submit a report as early as possible.

The West Bengal food department has convened a meeting on Wednesday to take a view on the Maggi row. Meanwhile, a Bihar court ordered police to file a first investigation report against Maggi brand ambassadors and actors Amitabh Bachchan, Madhuri Dixit and Preity Zinta besides two Nestlé executives, and arrest them if necessary.

Muzaffarpur additional chief judicial magistrate Ramchandra Prasad issued the order after lawyer Sudhir Kumar Ojha moved the court claiming he fell ill after eating Maggi noodles on 30 May.

Apart from the actors mentioned, the petition has also named Nestlé India managing director Mohan Gupta and joint director Sabab Alam. The case has been filed under IPC sections 270 (malignant act likely to spread infection of disease dangerous to life), 273 (sale of noxious food or drink), 276 (sale of drug as a different drug or preparation) and 420 (cheating and dishonesty).

Maggi noodles came under the scanner last month after the Uttar Pradesh Food Safety and Drug Administration asked Nestlé India to withdraw a batch of the noodles “which were manufactured in February 2014" after it found presence of non-essential taste enhancer monosodium glutamate and high levels of lead in the samples. The Centre has also asked regulator Food Safety and Standards Authority of India to test samples of the noodles from all states.

Close