How the 33 smart city plans exclude than include
- Yashwant Sinha quits BJP, says he’s taking ‘sanyas’ from party politics
- India’s role in development of Indo-Pacific region to expand, says IMF
- Nasa lunar ‘Gateway’ space station will soon begin construction
- North Korea’s nuclear declaration: What it does and does not mean
- US-China trade impasse shows no signs of easing as G-20 meets
The government is pitching the Smart Cities Mission as a quick, all-round uplift of Indian cities. But a data analysis of the 33 city proposals approved shows that, for now at least, such development under the mission will end up being the preserve of a chosen locality, not that of the entire city.