Home >News >World >Palestinians to proceed with Gaza talks despite killings
Palestinians inspect the scene where Israeli troops shot dead two Palestinians in the West Bank city of Hebron on Tuesday. Photo: Reuters
Palestinians inspect the scene where Israeli troops shot dead two Palestinians in the West Bank city of Hebron on Tuesday. Photo: Reuters

Palestinians to proceed with Gaza talks despite killings

A senior Hamas leader on Tuesday condemned the killing of two militants by Israel, but said they would continue with ceasefire negotiations in Cairo

Gaza: The Palestinian delegation to Gaza ceasefire talks in Cairo decided to proceed with the negotiations on Tuesday, a senior Hamas leader said, despite Israel’s killing of two Hamas militants in the occupied West Bank.

“After consultations within the Palestinian delegation and brothers in Gaza and abroad it was decided to continue the Cairo meetings," Mohammed al-Zahar told Reuters by phone from the Egyptian capital after a member of the team said it was considering withdrawing from the talks.

Zahar condemned the killing earlier on Tuesday of two Palestinians whom Israel said had shot dead three Israeli youths in June, an attack that led to the July-August Gaza war. But he said Israel must not be given any pretext “to escape from commitments" of an 26 August truce that called for talks within a month on long-term border arrangements for the blockaded Gaza Strip. Reuters

Subscribe to Mint Newsletters
* Enter a valid email
* Thank you for subscribing to our newsletter.

Click here to read the Mint ePaperMint is now on Telegram. Join Mint channel in your Telegram and stay updated with the latest business news.

Close
x
×
My Reads Redeem a Gift Card Logout