India giving rice and wheat production vast support, US tells WTO
India’s apparent MPS for wheat appears to have been over 60% of the value of production in each of the last four years for which India has notified data, says US
Geneva: India is supporting its rice and wheat farmers with payments that are far higher than the amounts it has officially notified to the World Trade Organization, the United States said in a statement published by the WTO on Wednesday.
“It appears that India provides market price support (MPS) for wheat and rice vastly in excess of what it has reported to the WTO,” the US statement said.
“India’s apparent MPS for wheat appears to have been over 60% of the value of production in each of the last four years for which India has notified data. Its apparent MPS for rice appears to have been over 70%.”
- Modi attacks Congress for spreading ‘lies and rumours’ on Dalit, farmer issues
- Narendra Modi inaugurates Rs11,000 crore Eastern Peripheral Expressway
- ED to seek immediate confiscation of Nirav Modi’s Rs7,000 crore assets under fugitive ordinance
- Finance ministry in talks with investors to set up strategic investment fund under NIIF
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi urges people to shun plastics
Editor's Picks »
- Motherson Sumi continues to face margin pressure in foreign markets
- What the Warren Buffett indicator tells us about market valuations today
- Jet Airways lands with a thud in Q4 as fuel costs increase
- IBC amendments: Some dilutions, and a lot more speed
- Patanjali’s gambit is paying off in toothpaste wars