India giving rice and wheat production vast support, US tells WTO
India’s apparent MPS for wheat appears to have been over 60% of the value of production in each of the last four years for which India has notified data, says US
Geneva: India is supporting its rice and wheat farmers with payments that are far higher than the amounts it has officially notified to the World Trade Organization, the United States said in a statement published by the WTO on Wednesday.
“It appears that India provides market price support (MPS) for wheat and rice vastly in excess of what it has reported to the WTO,” the US statement said.
“India’s apparent MPS for wheat appears to have been over 60% of the value of production in each of the last four years for which India has notified data. Its apparent MPS for rice appears to have been over 70%.”
Editor's Picks »
- Mukesh Ambani vs Jeff Bezos set to begin from Gujarat
- Marco Pierre White: ‘Chefs are not geniuses or artists, they are just workers’
- RBI will take steps to help sustain growth: Shaktikanta Das
- India is at par with China in space race: Isro’s K. Sivan
- AAP rules out alliance with Congress for Elections 2019
- What to expect from Q3 results of IndiGo, SpiceJet, Jet Airways
- Forget privatisation, govt has hugged its banks tighter
- Flat profit, rising debt are growing worries for Reliance
- Q3 results: HUL growth off a high base shows it’s on a roll
- DCB Bank Q3 results: Small loans give big pain as farm, mortgages lift delinquencies