IAF conducts mega-combat exercise close to China border
People privy of the development said the IAF exercise ’Gagan Shakti’ began around 6.30 am at Chinyalisaur town, 230km from the Indo-China border
Chinyalisaur (Uttarakhand):The ongoing nationwide mega-combat exercise of the Indian Air Force (IAF) began in Uttarakhand’s Uttarkashi district on Tuesday to examine the strategic preparedness of its infrastructure in the area.
Though IAF officials maintained a distance from the media, people privy of the development said the exercise—’Gagan Shakti’—began around 6.30 am at Chinyalisaur town, 230km from the Indo-China border.
The first An-32 transport aircraft carrying IAF personnel landed at the Chinyalisaur airstrip around 7.15 am.
The aircraft made a second landing at the airstrip at 7.45 am and a third at 8.01 am, people said. The exercise would continue in Chinyalisaur till Sunday.
‘Gagan Shakti’ is said to be the IAF’s biggest such exercise in decades, to check its operational preparedness with a focus on dealing with all possible security challenges, including from China and Pakistan.
The two-week drill started on 8 April and would continue till the 22nd of this month, officials had said.
Last Saturday, the IAF conducted a maritime air operation in the western sea board to check its deep strike capability in the Indian Ocean Region and beyond.
Editor's Picks »
- Opinion | A chance to discover a hidden indie rock gem
- Banking, NBFC stocks gain on hopes of easier norms after Urjit Patel exit
- TRS staring at landslide victory
- Telangana Election Results 2018: TRS leading in 87 seats, staring at landslide victory
- RBI slaps Rs 1 crore fine on Indian Bank for violating cyber security norms
- Steel stocks get winter chill as China demand issues resurface
- Why Uday Kotak’s defiance is scaring his bank’s investors
- Exit RBI governor Urjit Patel, enter wrath of the markets?
- The government has a troubling message for minority shareholders
- Opec-allies’ output cut may not amount to big shift in oil prices