Airboat service from Varanasi to Prayagraj likely in January
A Russian company is expected to start the airboat service from Varanasi to Prayagraj for the Kumbh Mela next year
New Delhi: The Centre is planning to start an airboat service from Varanasi to Prayagraj for the Kumbh Mela next year, road transport and shipping minister Nitin Gadkari said Wednesday.
Talking to reporters on the sidelines of an event, he said a Russian company is expected to start the service.
The airboat, the minister said, will have an engine of a vehicle and carry 16 people at a time. It can cruise up to 80 kilometers per hour and requires a depth of only 10 centimeters, he said.
“We are planning to start the service by January 26,” Gadkari said.
A 1,680 kilometers-waterway connects Prayagraj with Haldia.
Kumbh Mela will begin in Prayagraj on January 15, 2019.
This story has been published from a wire agency feed without modifications to the text. Only the headline has been changed.
Editor's Picks »
- Congress leads BJP in Rajasthan, Chhattisgarh, close fight in Madhya Pradesh
- Markets, rupee and bond prices fall after RBI chief Urjit Patel resigns
- Sensex plunges over 1,200 points in two days: 10 updates
- Retaining Rajasthan, MP, Chhattisgarh is key for Modi
- Rupee plunges against US dollar after Urjit Patel’s shock exit: 5 things to know
- Steel stocks get winter chill as China demand issues resurface
- Why Uday Kotak’s defiance is scaring his bank’s investors
- Exit RBI governor Urjit Patel, enter wrath of the markets?
- The government has a troubling message for minority shareholders
- Opec-allies’ output cut may not amount to big shift in oil prices