States to issue safety check advisory to shelter homes: Rajnath Singh
Advisory to be followed by physical checks to avoid future lapses, says home minister Rajnath Singh
New Delhi: A day after the Uttar Pradesh police uncovered a case of alleged sexual assault in a shelter home in the Deoria district, Home Minister Rajnath Singh instructed states to issue a safety check advisory to all shelter homes.
An advisory would be issued by all states to shelter homes, which would be followed by a safety check in order to avoid any future lapses, Singh said in the Lok Sabha on Tuesday. “I would like to tell the House that an advisory will be issued to all states so that all shelter homes are examined thoroughly to prevent such incidents.”
“The additional chief secretary and the additional director general of police in Uttar Pradesh have been appointed to get to the bottom of the matter. No one who is responsible will be spared,” Singh said
Only 24 of the 42 girls registered with the non-governmental organisation Ma Vindhyawasini Mahila Prakishan Evam Samaj Sewa Sansthan and Girl Child Protection House were found at the home during the police raids. As many as 18 of them were found missing.
Last week, more than 30 girls at a state-funded shelter home in Bihar’s Muzaffarpur district were allegedly assaulted sexually, leading to the arrest of 10 people. Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar said on Monday action will be taken against those involved in the incident.
The Supreme Court on Tuesday rapped the Bihar government, expressing concern over incidents of rape in the country and said that women were being raped “left, right, and centre”. The apex court referred to the National Crime Records Bureau data, which said a woman was raped every six hours in India.
A bench comprising Justices MB Lokur, Deepak Gupta and KM Joseph pulled up the state government for funding the NGO, which ran the shelter home in Muzaffarpur.
- Army of volunteers run aid collection centres
- Security forces scale down relief ops, withdraw from some areas
- Flood-hit Kodagu may send migrant workers back home in bid to streamline relief process
- I-T dilutes move to cap appeals based on monetary value
- Seven states get new governors, Malik replaces Vohra in J&K
Editor's Picks »
- Ultratech gets CCI nod to acquire Century cement business
- S&P hits record high, equals longest-ever bull run
- Opinion | Disruption and innovation in the legal industry
- Lesson from devastation in Kerala: Investing in new knowledge for the future
- Nokia maker HMD aims to double India revenues in four-six months
- MakeMyTrip’s attempts to juggle between growth and profitability
- Kerala’s SoS may not have major impact on asset quality of banks
- Subsidy sharing concerns loom for state-run upstream oil firms
- L&T is better off rewarding investors given the poor investment avenues
- Coal India’s share sale plans eclipse bright outlook for FY19