Lucknow: A suspected terrorist was killed after 12 hours of anti-terror operation, said Lucknow police on early Wednesday, refuting earlier reports of two terror suspects holed up in a house in the outskirts of city.

Anti-terror operations were carried out to get hold of terrorists, suspected to be linked with the Bhopal-Ujjain train blast near Jabdi station in Shajapur district of Madhya Pradesh on Tuesday in which at least 10 people were injured, three of them seriously.

“After opening the doors of the house (where the terrorist was holed up), the force went inside and found the suspect dead along with weapons," said Lucknow ADG (Law and Order) Daljit Chaudhary. “At one point of time it appeared that more than one person was holed up inside the house."

Chaudhary said the operation “stands closed now. Rest of the legal formalities will subsequently take place."

Inspector General (anti-terrorism squad) Aseem Arun confirmed that the slain terror suspect was an active member of the Islamic State.

“The slain terror suspect belongs to the Khurasan module of the Islamic State and was an active member, but whether he has been indoctrinated or not is a matter of investigation," Arun said. “Efforts were made to catch the suspected terrorist (identified as Saifullah) alive, but unfortunately this did not materialize. We fired tear gas shells and chilly bombs...but he did not come out."

The ATS commandos then stormed into the house (after issuing a warning to the terrorist), Arun said, adding “The suspected terrorist then fired at the ATS commandos, who then appropriately retaliated. After this, two rooms were thoroughly searched and checked, and the person identified as Saifullah was found dead."

“One pistol, revolver, knife and ammunition have been recovered," said Arun.

The ATS commandos also saw a wire wrapped around the stomach of the terror suspect. “We suspect that it could possibly be an explosive. Hence, the bomb disposal squad has been called to clear the room first. After this the investigations would commence," said Arun.

On earlier reports of two terrorists being holed up in the house, Arun said, “Since we were using the tube cameras to ascertain the details (of the suspected terrorists), the image was not very clear, and it appeared that there may be two terrorists in the house. But, when the search and clear operations were carried out, only one dead body was found."

Asked to comment on the possible terror linkage of the slain terrorist, Arun said that this would be answered during the course of investigation.