Triple talaq bill only intended at inciting Muslim community: Mamata Banerjee
Kolkata: West Bengal chief minister Mamata Banerjee on Wednesday broke silence over the bill to abolish triple talaq, or instant divorce, saying the proposed law will not help women and that it was only intended to incite the Muslim community.
Her Trinamool Congress party’s lawmakers did not take part in the discussion over the bill in the Lok Sabha last week.
The proposed law is only political ploy of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), Banerjee said on Wednesday, addressing a rally in Birbhum district.
- Sebi strengthens procedures for dividend payment, transfer of securities
- Donald Trump slams Opec as cartel pushes harder for high oil prices
- 2002 Gujarat riots: Maya Kodnani acquitted in Naroda Patiya case
- Sebi fines Suzlon Rs1.1 crore for violating insider trading norms
- Vedanta’s Electrosteel acquisition credit neutral: Report