Pressure on Fadnavis as Adityanath farm loan waiver gets Thackeray praise
Shiv Sena chief Uddhav Thackeray asks Maharashtra CM Devendra Fadnavis to declare a farm loan waiver while praising UP CM Yogi Adityanath’s move
- Ties between AIADMK, BJP hit a rough patch over income tax raids
- ED files supplementary charge sheet in AgustaWestland chopper scam case
- Supreme Court on Sabarimala: All men and women have equal right to worship
- US offers India armed version of Guardian drone
- Railways commissioned 30% fewer tracks in FY18, the lowest in first 4 years of Modi govt
Mumbai: Hours after the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) government in Uttar Pradesh announced a Rs36,000 crore farm loan waiver, Shiv Sena president Uddhav Thackeray issued a press release congratulating UP chief minister Yogi Adityanath, and asking his Maharashtra counterpart Devendra Fadnavis to follow suit.
Thackeray’s statement indicates the Shiv Sena, which has frequently altered its stance on farm loan waiver, may take an aggressive stance on the issue.
The timing of Thackeray’s statement could not have come at a more inopportune for the BJP-led government in Maharashtra, with the Congress-led opposition parties in the state announcing earlier in the day that they would continue their ‘Sangharsha Yatra’ till farm loans were waived.
Thackeray pointed out that by taking the farm loan decision in the first cabinet meeting itself, the UP chief minister had proved that the BJP’s electoral promise was not a “jumla”. “If farmers’ loan can be waived in India’s largest state of UP, why can’t a similar measure be announced in Maharashtra where agriculture dominates the economy and where the farmers are committing suicides in large numbers”, Thackeray asked. He has urged Fadnavis to go ahead and follow his UP counterpart in extending relief to farmers in Maharashtra too.
The Shiv Sena chief pointed out that indebtedness was one of the main reasons of farm suicides in Maharashtra apart from crop failure, drought, unseasonal rains, and hailstorms.
Editor's Picks »
- France’s Engie appoints Rothschild to find a buyer for Indian solar biz
- Going into 2019, has brand Modi lost some of its sheen?
- Sun Pharma’s cancer injection from Halol plant gets USFDA nod
- A click moment for us was raising ₹100 crore in seed round to chase our dreams: Manish Lunia
- HDFC mutual fund arm to launch its ₹2,800 crore initial share sale next week
- Fund managers slashing allocations to equities in emerging markets, shows BAML survey
- ICICI Lombard tightens grip on profitability in a lean growth quarter
- TCNS Clothing IPO: Valuations capture the upsides adequately
- Nightmare of Indian Accounting Standard 115 comes to haunt firms in the real estate sector
- What is driving the optimism in stocks of paint companies?