AAP MLA Dharmendra Singh Koli booked on complaint by Congress leader
AAP MLA Koli has been booked on molestation, rioting charges on complaint by Congress worker Veer Singh Dhinghan
New Delhi: Newly elected Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) MLA from Seemapuri, Dharmendra Singh Koli, was on Monday booked on charges of molestation and rioting on a complaint by Congress worker Veer Singh Dhinghan who was defeated by him in the assembly elections, police said.
Koli, the party’s youngest MLA, refuted the charges, saying it was “a fake case” and “an attempt to malign my image”, while AAP said prima facie it seemed to be an attempt to malign the image of the party.
Supporters of the two parties clashed at around 11:30 am, when scores of AAP workers took out a victory procession in the area and started bursting crackers and celebrating in front of Dhinghan’s residence. Some of Dhingan’s supporters questioned their presence in the area and directed them to vacate the place, after which a clash ensued between the two camps, police said.
Police soon reached the spot and brought the situation under control. However, an FIR was registered late in the night. “We have registered an FIR of molestation and rioting against Koli and others after a complaint from Dhingan and a statement by his wife that AAP members allegedly entered their house and misbehaved with her. Further investigations are on,” a police official said.
Reacting to the allegations, AAP said that prima facie it seemed to be an attempt to malign the image of the party. “Also, it seems that it is a fake case as the incident happened in the morning and a complaint was filed late in the night. Koli will be expelled from the party if the allegations are found true but a defamation suit will be filed if they turn out to be false,” AAP said in a statement.
Refuting the charges, Koli said it was “a fake case as Congress is unable to accept their defeat”. “I will file a defamation case against them,” he said.
Defending himself, he said, “I was busy throughout the day in the procession. Our procession passed through Seemapuri, Gopulpuri and other parts of the constituency. I was in an open jeep and did not get time to get out of it. How can I do such things? It is an attempt to malign my image,” he said.
Editor's Picks »
- Cube Wealth raises ₹14 crore in Series A funding
- Morgan Stanley arm in talks to invest $55 million in KSH Group’s warehouse assets
- Goldman Sachs changing Asia investment banking leadership
- Investors sitting on $40 billion capital reserves for India
- Opinion | Beware the dark side of Artificial Intelligence
- UltraTech’s dismal Q2 results darken outlook on cement sector
- NBFC liquidity crisis set to worsen real estate sector woes
- RBI pause on interest rate hike may last only till December
- Policy rethink and higher volumes to aid container shippers
- DCB Bank delivers a strong Q2 but pressure on margins foreseen