West Bengal government employees should accept 15% hike in DA: HC
Calcutta HC asks West Bengal govt employees to accept the 15% hike in dearness allowance (DA) applicable from 1 Jan 2018 saying it will not prejudice their right to claim any arrears or further dues
Kolkata: The Calcutta high court on Wednesday directed the West Bengal government employees to accept a hike of 15% in dearness allowance (DA), as notified by the state.
A division bench comprising acting chief justice Nishita Mhatre and justice T. Chakraborty directed that the state government employees would accept the 15% DA hike to be applicable from 1 January 2018.
Noting submissions by counsel for the employees and the advocate general of the state, the bench said the acceptance of the hike in DA would not prejudice their right to claim any arrears or further dues.
The hike of 15% in DA would make the total DA component 100% of basic pay from January 2018, as the state government employees are at present getting 85% of basic pay as DA.
Appearing for the Confederation of State Government Employees, counsel Amjad Ali submitted that the state has been paying DA at the rate of 85% of basic pay since January 2017, which the central government has been paying since 2013.
Referring to Article 309 in the Constitution relating to recruitment and conditions of service of persons serving the Union or a state, Ali submitted that West Bengal government employees were entitled to arrears of DA from 2013.
State advocate-general Kishore Dutta denied any such dues and submitted that there is no arrear of DA as far as the state is concerned.
Counsel Bikash Bhattacharya submitted that the court consider the plight of the state employees “who are saddled with huge pay disparity” compared to central government employees.
The division bench directed that the matter would come up for further hearing in November, when these issues can be agitated before the court.
The high court had on Monday asked the West Bengal government what it was doing to implement chief minister Mamata Banerjee’s announcement to increase the DA for state employees.
The advocate-general had informed the court that the chief minister had announced a 15% DA hike for state government employees from January 2018.
- Narendra Modi asks people to rate his govt on his NaMo app
- Some issues with Congress over portfolio allocation, says H.D. Kumaraswamy
- Moon, Kim discuss scrapped US summit as Donald Trump signals optimism
- Taking stock of Narendra Modi government after four years
- All 7 ITR forms for assessment year 2018-19 activated for e-filing: Income Tax Department
Editor's Picks »
- Motherson Sumi continues to face margin pressure in foreign markets
- What the Warren Buffett indicator tells us about market valuations today
- Jet Airways lands with a thud in Q4 as fuel costs increase
- IBC amendments: Some dilutions, and a lot more speed
- Patanjali’s gambit is paying off in toothpaste wars