Israel PM Benjamin Netanyahu says Iran crossed ‘red line’ with rocket fire
Israel says 20 rockets, either Fajr or Grad type, are fired from Syria at its forces in the occupied Golan Heights at around midnight
Jerusalem: Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Iran had crossed a “red line” by firing rockets at Israeli forces from Syria, leading to major Israeli air strikes on Thursday in the neighbouring country.
“Iran has crossed a red line. Our reaction was a consequence,” the Israeli leader said in a video posted on social media. “The Israeli army carried out an extensive attack against Iranian targets in Syria.”
Iran has not claimed responsibility for the rocket fire.
Israel carried out widespread deadly raids against what it said were Iranian targets in Syria after rocket fire towards its forces which it blamed on Iran, marking a sharp escalation between the two enemies.
Israel said 20 rockets, either Fajr or Grad type, were fired from Syria at its forces in the occupied Golan Heights at around midnight. It blamed the rocket fire on Iran’s Quds force, adding that Israel’s anti-missile system intercepted four while the rest did not land in its territory.
No Israelis were wounded.
“We are in a prolonged campaign and our policy is clear: We will not allow Iran to establish itself militarily in Syria,” Netanyahu said.
- Vajpayee critical, still on life support system, says AIIMS
- Heavy rains continue in Kerala, some relief camps get flooded
- Oil rises, base metals claw back ground as China, US set for trade talks
- Kerala floods: PM asks defence ministry to step up relief, rescue operations
- US says Turkey tariffs to stay; Erdogan gets $15 billion Qatar lifeline
Editor's Picks »
- Recent rise in trade deficit is not due to the oil prices
- Safeguard duty proposal has deepened uncertainty in the solar energy sector
- Fortis Healthcare: What now, after IHH entry and June quarter loss?
- Weak Q1 for Amara Raja but investors pin hopes on softening lead prices
- IDBI Bank Q1 results show how expensive it is for LIC