Finance ministry ratifies 8.65% EPF interest rate, says Bandaru Dattatreya
The finance ministry’s ratification of the 8.65% interest rate on EPF will enable EPFO to credit this rate of return into the accounts of four crore subscribers
- Women at the forefront of anti-Sterlite protests
- Kerala: Chengannur bypoll today, CPM, Congress gear up to thwart BJP
- Why Palghar bypoll is important for BJP in Maharashtra
- Chandrababu Naidu sounds poll bugle for 2019 elections, tears into BJP
- Kerala bypoll: CPM will win comfortably in Chengannur, says party leader
New Delhi: Labour minister Bandaru Dattatreya on Thursday said that the finance ministry has approved 8.65% interest rate on the Employees’ Provident Fund (EPF) for 2016-17.
The ratification of the 8.65% on EPF will enable the retirement fund body Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) to credit this rate of return into the accounts of four crore subscribers.
“Finance ministry has agreed to 8.65% rate of interest. Now, the communication will come. The formal discussions are over,” the minister said.
He added, “We will immediately issue the notification and credit the rate of interest to over four crore subscribers.”
The Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation trustees had approved 8.65% rate on EPF in December last year.
The Finance Ministry has been nudging the labour ministry to lower the EPF rate for aligning it with the rates of small savings schemes like Public Provident Fund (PPF).
Editor's Picks »
- Motherson Sumi continues to face margin pressure in foreign markets
- What the Warren Buffett indicator tells us about market valuations today
- Jet Airways lands with a thud in Q4 as fuel costs increase
- IBC amendments: Some dilutions, and a lot more speed
- Patanjali’s gambit is paying off in toothpaste wars