Mumbai: Mumbai police and Indian Navy launched extensive search and combing operations on Thursday after two students of a school in Uran township of Raigad district near Navi Mumbai told the police that they had seen four to five suspicious persons in Karanja area.

Maharashtra director general of police Satish Mathur issued a statement saying that one student claimed that he had spotted a suspicious person, the other said he had seen five. “Multiple agencies are probing after getting this information. We have launched search and combing operations," the statement said.

Indian Navy’s chief public relations officer D. K. Sharma issued a statement saying that “the Navy is on high alert after getting this information regarding suspicious activity reported by some school children in Karanja near Mumbai."

A spokesperson for the Mumbai Police, however, said no terror alert had been issued. “We are just taking precautions looking at the gravity of the situation," said the spokesperson. “Search operations are being carried out at vulnerable places, entry and exit points, coastline, schools in the area where suspects have been sighted, and other major installations. We have not declared a state of alert, but citizens need to stay vigilant," he said.

Apart from the Mumbai and Navi Mumbai Police, agencies like the Indian Navy, National Security Guard (NSG), and Anti-terrorism Squad (ATS) have launched search and combing operations all over Mumbai and Navi Mumbai.

The Colaba police station in south Mumbai issued an advisory asking coastal guards, fishermen, and police officials to be on the lookout for “four suspects who are wearing Indian army fatigues and who have been spotted moving around suspiciously in Uran and Karanja area".

As a precautionary measure, several schools in Navi Mumbai closed early on Thursday.

Close