25 years on, Mumbai blasts accused Farooq Takla arrested by CBI
Farooq Takla, an accused in the 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts, has been sent to CBI custody till 19 March by a Tada court in Mumbai
New Delhi: The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) on Thursday arrested Farooq Takla for his role in the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts, when he landed in New Delhi from Dubai.
A close aide of fugitive don Dawood Ibrahim, Takla is an accused in the terror attack which killed over 300 people in 12 bomb blasts.
Takla was flown to Mumbai, where a Terrorist and Disruptive Activities (Prevention) Act court sent him to police custody till 19 March.
A person familiar with the development said on condition of anonymity that Takla was deported by the United Arab Emirates. India’s external affairs ministry had not issued a comment till press time.
A CBI spokesperson said Takla was instrumental in facilitating arms training before the blasts were carried out. “When the accused went from India to Pakistan via Dubai, Takla provided logistical support to them in Dubai along with relevant papers. He also assisted many of the accused in getting arms training when they travelled to Dubai,” the spokesperson said in New Delhi.
Takla left India before the blasts. A red corner notice was issued against him in 1995.
A red corner notice is issued by Interpol to ascertain the location and arrest wanted persons to pursue their extradition or initiate legal action.
Takla’s arrest comes eight months after Kadir Ahmed, an accused in the serial blasts, was arrested in Uttar Pradesh’s Bijnor district. Ahmed was arrested following a joint operation by the Uttar Pradesh Anti-Terror Squad and the Gujarat Anti-Terror Squad.
Ahmed was accused of arranging for weapons and explosives in Gujarat, which were later taken by Abdul Razak Memon—the alleged mastermind of the 1993 blasts.
On 30 July 2015, Razak Memon’s brother Yakub, who had fled to Pakistan along with his brother and the rest of the family following the blasts, was hanged in Maharashtra’s Nagpur jail, after then president Pranab Mukherjee turned down his mercy petition.
Yakub Memon had been accused of securing safe passage to Pakistan for those who executed the attack.
- Fire breaks out at a factory in Delhi’s Udyog Nagar
- Car tariffs? Europe is ready to retaliate as trade dispute grows
- Narendra Modi says Congress tradition of vote-bank politics fading
- Monsoon likely to hit Bihar in next two to three days: IMD
- Xi Jinping says China must lead way in reform of global governance