Society should get more opportunity to flourish, says PM Modi
India has become the destination for multi-trillion dollar investments, Prime Minister Narendra Modi says during his Independence Day speech
New Delhi: Prime Minister Narendra Modi reiterated his commitment to reforms and time-bound implementation of schemes that will bring a growth opportunity to every section of society and usher in a new India by 2022.
In his Independence Day address to the nation from the ramparts of the historic Red Fort in the capital, Modi pledged to work continuously for improving the “quality and ease of living” of people.
The Prime Minister listed out the progress in his first four years in office and said the government’s approach was to aim high while setting goals.
“The middle class should not find any difficulty in progressing. The society should get more opportunity to flourish. Women, elders, backward classes, tribals and everyone should get the opportunity to progress as per their desires,” he said.
Modi also said that development should not leave anyone behind and that it has to be balanced across the country, irrespective of how geographically far a region may be, whether Ladakh or the northeast.
He likened India’s economy to an elephant, which has started running, implying that reforms have accelerated economic growth. “In the next three decades, India will give direction to the global economy,” he said.
The Prime Minister said that the northeast now has access to highways, waterways and information highways, and youngsters are turning into entrepreneurs in the region. “There was a time when the northeast felt far removed from Delhi. Today, Delhi is at the doorstep of the northeast.”
Modi said the rollout of goods and services tax and the insolvency and bankruptcy code have added to the reform momentum and have bolstered the fundamentals of the economy.
From the days of delayed reforms and policy paralysis that marked the years before the National Democratic Alliance came to power in 2014, the country is now known for its “commitment to reform, perform and transform”.
“India has become the destination for multi-trillion dollar investments,” the Prime Minister said.
Editor's Picks »
- RBI announces norms for co-origination of priority sector loans by banks, NBFCs
- CBI defends boss, questions charges by special director
- Tata’s UK steel plant warns it needs bigger profits to survive
- Mass tourism threatens Croatia’s ‘Game of Thrones’ town
- Hindustan Times, 9 others come together to form Digital News Publishers Association
- India’s renewable energy sector hits a milestone but loses speed
- All eyes now on share swap ratio in this mega bank merger
- Jet Privilege can actually get higher valuation than Jet Airways
- Profitability of cement firms to take a hit due to weak prices, high costs
- Pidilite’s shares hold their ground despite weak rupee and rising crude