Pramila Jayapal is 1st Indian-American woman to be elected to US House
- Govt serious in bringing fugitive economic offenders to task: Rajnath Singh
- Sushma Swaraj arrives in China for talks with Wang Yi, SCO meet
- Make the best of technology to deal with administrative delays: Modi tells bureaucrats
- Amit Shah says ordinance shows Modi govt’s commitment to women’s safety
- Sanskrit most suitable for machine learning, AI: Ram Nath Kovind
New York: Pramila Jayapal on Wednesday became the first Indian-American woman to be elected to the US House of Representatives, winning the Washington State Senate seat.
The 51-year-old Jayapal got 57% of the votes from Washington State, leaving behind her rival Brady Walkinshaw who secured 43% votes.
India-born Jayapal made a mark with her progressive agenda in the Washington State Senate.
Endorsed by Senator Bernie Sanders, the former Democratic presidential aspirant, Jayapal is running from the seventh Congressional District of Washington State that encompasses Seattle and its neighbourhood. PTI