30 children die in BRD Medical College over two days
Over 30 kids have died at BRD Medical College in Uttar Pradesh’s Gorakhpur district over last 48 hours, allegedly due to lack of oxygen supply to the wards, the local police say
Lucknow: More than 30 children have died at a government-run hospital in Uttar Pradesh over last 48 hours, police said Friday, allegedly due to lack of oxygen supply to the wards housing the sick.
The children were admitted at BRD Medical College in Gorakhpur district of northern Uttar Pradesh.
“The hospital has said that 23 children died on Thursday and 11 today (Friday). At the moment we only have this information,” senior police superintendent Satyarth Aniruddha Pankaj told AFP by phone.
“The matter is being investigated.”
Multiple local media reports said the children died after the company which was supplying oxygen stopped the service, apparently over non-payment of dues running into millions of rupees.
City magistrate V.K. Srivastava, however, denied the allegations and said the hospital had enough oxygen cylinders in stock.
“The deaths were not due to lack of oxygen as is being reported. The supply was stopped yesterday (Thursday) but the hospital has enough cylinders in stock,” he told AFP.
“Many acute cases are referred to the hospital and on an average 10-11 kids die daily. A team has been set up to look into the matter.”
- Flexi fare may force railways passengers to opt for airlines, says CAG
- Maharashtra announces ₹21,222 crore special package for Vidarbha, Marathwada
- Donald Trump, Vladimir Putin morphed in latest Time cover
- PM Modi vs Rahul Gandhi: Hug, wink and slip of tongue
- Donald Trump ready to slap duties on $500 billion Chinese imports
Latest News »
Editor's Picks »
- What ABB India’s performance in June quarter says about capex growth
- Bajaj Finance does well in Q1 even as competition hots up
- Kotak Mahindra Bank: The perils of being priced to perfection
- Higher cane price crushes hopes of sugar mills
- Market optimism before 2019 general election: History may not repeat itself